Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Beauty of Bach

It is not yet noon and I am prepared to declare the day weird.  First of all, it is brilliantly sunny outside and I always find that a very agitating start to the day.  Then there were several petty and minor annoyances that were easily dealt with along with the usual morning routine.  There was nothing large and I am reminding myself that I am lucky to have only minor annoyances rather than major crises.  Days like this make me realize anew that I am not a morning person.  It took me a couple of hours to do what I had to do but by the time I was done I was feeling agitated.  I much prefer to ease into my days quietly.  So while I had some plans for the morning, I scrapped them, wisely accepting that I would just get even more frustrated if I did things that required attention--my mind was just too scattered.  I was pondering what I should do instead when it dawned on me!  Put on some Bach!  So I did.  Then I picked up the current mindless knitting project and knit a couple of long rows.  I could feel my mind quiet as the agitation departed and my body calmed.  It's like magic!  Mind you, I really know nothing about classical music in general and Bach in particular, except that I know what I like--and I particularly like Bach.  There is just something about his music that creates an atmosphere of peace for me.  In the past when I would feel creatively blocked or generally agitated I would lay on my bed, close my eyes, and listen to Bach.  It put me in a place that was not conscious and not unconscious--it was somewhere in between.  I would come out of this state to find myself renewed and refreshed with ideas flowing freely.  So here's to Bach and mindless knitting and here's to a calmer afternoon!

No comments: