Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What's Business Got to Do with It?

I had had people tell me, and I have read other people saying, that they might vote for a particular candidate for president because he has "business experience."  I never fail to be puzzled by this.  What does "business experience" have to do with anything?  The roles and goals of business and government are in no way the same.  I mean, I get the fact that people are concerned about the economy, but to then leap wildly to the conclusion that because business and government both have something to do with the economy, someone who has experience in one will be able to be successful at the other seems kind of silly.  There may be good, intelligent, serious reasons to vote for a particular candidate, but "business experience" really isn't one of them.

No comments: