Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Making Muesli

I have never been much of a granola fan. It is too hard for my taste and when I have eaten it in the past, something about it does not sit well with me and I usually get an upset stomach. Muesli is a different story. I love muesli. It is pretty popular here and you can buy it ready made, but it is expensive. Happily, it is quick, cheap, and easy to make it at home where I can control what is in it. I made a batch today and it took less than 10 minutes from start to finish.
I toast the oatmeal in the microwave. I used to use a glass pie plate, but no longer have one, so I use a shallow soup bowl instead. The bowl holds a cup and a half of oats, so I do that much at one time, placing it in the microwave for one minute intervals and stirring after each minute. It usually takes 3 minutes altogether for a batch to be toasted the way I like it. I use what are called "jumbo" oats here, or "jumbo porridge oats" but are called "old fashioned rolled oats" in the US. Toasting the oats is pretty much all the prep that is required. Toss them into a bowl with whatever else you like--nuts, seeds, dried fruit, etc. I have been adding raisins, sliced almonds, and coconut. I usually add a sliced banana to the bowl when I eat it. It's good with milk or stirred into yogurt.
Now I have my breakfast ready for the next several days. Yay!

No comments: