Thursday, November 24, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving!

This is our third Thanksgiving in Ireland and this year I am more grateful than ever to be here.

I had a chat with veg man the other day--he did not know what Thanksgiving is, so I told him what it is to us, then briefly mentioned the wider cultural norm. He'd heard of Black Friday. We agreed that it was always good to stop and be thankful for the good things in our lives and as I left, he wished me a happy Thanksgiving.

We are having two this year. Today we are having our little low-key dinner. I was chuckling the other day thinking about how much I used to do--I would start cooking two days before. This year I've cooked a large chicken in the slow cooker overnight, will be making mashed potatoes and gravy, a veg, and a big pan of stuffing. I've toasted some oats and mixed with coconut and almonds. I will cook some apples with cinnamon and other spices and make some custard. We'll have the apples topped with the oat mixture and custard for dessert. And I will make enough of everything for us to have for the next couple of days. On Sunday, we will be going to a friend's house for another festive dinner--we are looking forward it!

Since it is a regular Thursday here, Bill went to the shop to get some bananas, calling in at one of the charity shops along the way. There he found this little guy for 10 cents, so he brought him home.
 He can hang out with the festive snowman we got a month or so ago.


I know they join us in wishing you a very happy Thanksgiving, if you celebrate. If you don't, happy Thursday--maybe this is a good day to stop for a minute and be especially thankful for the good people and things in your life.

No comments: