Sunday, April 9, 2017

After the Socks, What Next?

The other day, I finished the second sock of a pair. I'd kept them downstairs by the couch so I could pick them up and work on them here and there.
They're made with a wool/cotton/nylon sock yarn that I got at Lidl last year. I used size 1 (US) needles for the 2x2 ribbed cuff and switched to size 0 for the rest of the sock. I cast on 68 stitches, so instep was worked over 34 stitches in a 4 round repeat--rounds 1 and 2 were purled across the instep needle and rounds 3 and 4 were k1, p1 across the needle. I like the texture that resulted.

Since I finished these, I have been adrift when it comes to my stitching, unsure of what to start next. I hate it when that happens because I end up going through my days with a constant, vague feeling humming away in the background that reminds me that something is not quite right.

I have picked up a couple of ongoing modular/scrappy projects in the past few days and worked on those for a little while, but I really want to decide what the next project is going to be. I made a few starts with some cotton that I have left from another project, but nothing was working out well, and I have started and ripped out a few times with that! I did some tatting last night on a scrappy patchwork piece I am making and that was enjoyable, so I might keep going with that for a while as my upstairs project. I am having a few ideas about some other things, so maybe one of those will work out. I know that if I am patient, inspiration will strike.

2 comments:

DJL said...

Dear Shari,
I get that same feeling when I don't have a book to read! Last night I finished a book I'd been reading (The Stranger in the Woods, about the "Maine hermit", Christopher Knight, who lived undetected in the woods of Maine for 27 years. I highly recommend it.) But this morning I woke up and felt that mild panic knowing I didn't have a book 'on deck.' Luckily I have the key to our local library so I popped in before work and got a new book to start. Whew!
Hope you have a great week. I've enjoyed hearing about your community garden adventures!
Cheers,
Dana

Shari Burke said...

I've been there with books too! Whenever we go somewhere I am always worried that I will run out of reading material, so I pack too much. Now I bring an e-reader, my tablet with library e-books and e-audiobooks on it, and a regular book--LOL One great thing about Ireland is that, even in these small villages, the charity shops are overflowing with books and they price them to sell--4 or 5 for a euro, usually. It's not often that we walk out of a charity shop without books--and I have found some great ones. Mostly we read them and then place them in the wee free library at the shore walk. But they pile up faster than we can read them, especially since we are always getting stuff from the library. Having the key to the library is definitely a very cool thing!

The garden stuff is fun--definitely a learning experience! We've met some nice people and hopefully will even get some veggies :-)

Enjoy your week!