Monday, May 22, 2017

Tatting Today

I've spent a little time doing some tatting today, using scraps of thread and a small piece of sea glass. I'm working on some small things for a table at the community garden cottage market. Since I expect that anyone who comes to Open Day at the garden, which is where the market will be set up, will be local and at least somewhat interested in plants, I have decided to focus loosely on those themes--flowers/plants and local. I'll make small things, since there really isn't time for anything else--the market will be 10 June. I have a pretty good start with plenty of ideas, so I'll just do a little bit each day, making whatever strikes my fancy on any given day.

Today it was tatting. I remembered a flower-ish motif that I'd made a couple of years ago in Ballinrobe. I thought I wrote down the numbers, but if I did, I have no idea where. Fortunately, I had pictures and could blow one up to count the stitches and picots, so I didn't have to start over, experimenting with different stitch counts and ripping out to try again. I decided to make this one both floral-ish and local by making the flower-ish motif in Donegal colours.
After I finished that, I made a different motif that I wanted to use for a sort of suncatcher with a piece of sea glass. As I was rummaging through our smaller pieces of green glass, I started to think I would not be able to do what I wanted--all of the pieces were too big for the tatting--next time I will try using the thread doubled with a larger needle. That will give me a larger and less delicate motif that can handle a bigger/thicker piece of glass. Anyway, just when I was about to give up and set the motif aside, I found a wee piece that works perfectly. Yay!
I'm not sure what I'll work on next. I might have to go upstairs and have a rummage through my odds and ends before I decide. Before I do that, I have a book to finish and some supper to throw together.

Hope this day is treating you well.


No comments: