Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Pizza-ish: Using Up the Last Bits

I had some stuff in the fridge that needed to be used, so today, when we went to veg man's stall, I picked up a few things to use with the odds and ends and we had this pizza-ish dish for supper.
Yesterday, I strained a batch of yoghurt and had enough whey for a batch of ricotta. I also had some milk that needed using, so ricotta it was. This evening, I mixed in what was left in a jar of red pesto and I made wholemeal pizza dough in the bread machine. I rolled out the dough, patted it into the pan, and pre-baked it just a bit-- for 5 minutes or so--before spreading the ricotta-pesto mixture on top. Meanwhile, I chopped an onion, a few cloves of garlic, a sweet red pepper that needed using, a courgette, a bulb of fennel, and some cherry tomatoes and cooked them in some olive oil, adding dried oregano and basil. I spread this mixture on top of the ricotta-pesto. Then I grabbed the cheese--I had a few blocks nearing the end, so I chopped those up and sprinkled them on top. There was a crumbly cheddar, a black pepper cheddar, and a garlic and chive cheddar. It all went back into the oven for about 20 minutes. Yum! It is delicious! Definitely a good use of all those odds and ends that were in the fridge! 😋

Hope your fridge has some useful and delicious odds and ends, too!

No comments: